This is why you don't buy Traxxas...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgehog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've been known to bash Traxxas a little in my threads, but only because of how often I break these money pits trying to pass for "hobby grade" rc cars.
Today was no exception. Took my Rustler to the new indoor carpet track the club I frequent opened up today for practice runs.. I didn't even get through one complete battery pack and it broke not once, but twice. First casualty was a rear shock tower that literally split in half. A buddy had a spare so I tossed that on and kept running. Not 4 laps later... the rear bulkhead where the hinge pin attaches split wide open. This is a small indoor track with some pretty small jumps. Not bashing this thing or launching it 30 ft like Kev Talbot does... it was also pretty warm in there so cold wasn't a factor in making the plastic brittle. I guess I just don't consider a product quality when you have to immediately replace over 3/4 of the parts with RPM or something stronger so this crap doesn't frequently happen.
So far I've had to replace both front steering knuckles, rear axle carriers, servo gears, a complete servo, now a rear shock tower (might as well do both), a gear cover where the plastic split from barely over-tightening, and now a transmission case. Also going to replace the a-arms with rpm as those are bound to go on me as well... I've only had the car since August and haven't run it that often. Not to mention the parts I've had to replace on my Stampede as well which I'm now trying to sell just to get rid of the thing.

EDIT: Make that 3 times in one day. Apparently I also bent the crap out of the cheap shafts on the rear shock as well that day on the Rustler. (Not even on the side that the hinge pin mount broke)

TL;DR Traxxas sucks, do not buy. Don't be a sucker like I was and believe the fanboys who swear by this crap.

IMG_20190113_175311.jpgIMG_20190113_154814.jpg

Last edited:
Wow sorry to hear about the run of breakage on the rustler. That sucks. Did you have another truck to run or did that end your session?

I certainly don't need convincing. Sold my E-Revo 2 at a big loss just to get it gone. I kept the Slash because I have way too much money in it to get any worthwhile cost in return. MIP cvds, Proline shocks, Robinson Racing tranny, front and rear knuckles, new body, etc... It's now a shelf queen or one I loan the new drivers with the throttle turned way down. Glad it only took two and a Redcat MT10E to get me to Arrma and I'm hugely Arrma loyal now.

Wow sorry to hear about the run of breakage on the rustler. That sucks. Did you have another truck to run or did that end your session?

The new indoor is only a 1/10th scale track so could't run my talion (spring can't come soon enough to run on the big track) and only other car I have atm is my Stampede, which I'm selling and picking up a proper 1/10 scale racing kit so I'm not chancing breaking it before I sell it. lol :)

Last edited:
That's about par for the course with Traxxas. Pure junk and bad overall for the hobby.
They make unbelievably fragile products while trying to bankrupt competitors who build better vehicles.
Sad really

My Ruckus is a lot more durable than my Stampede. There is a reason my Ruckus is still running 3.5 years later and my Stampede has been in the bottom of a box looking like this for 2 years.
View attachment 27202
That's honestly good to hear because i had a 2wd ruckus it wasn't horrible but i wasn't impressed they just have improved its been like 3 to 4 years since lol

Aw man, and I'm just about to trick out my Stampede 4x4. I've had a lot of fun with my two Traxxas trucks so I won't bash (no pun intended) them, but I will admit that ARRMA is built tougher. I've abused my Granite almost on purpose trying to see what breaks and absolutely nothing has given in but the wheelie bar. My Stampede would have broken an arm or two and some shocks by now.

Go read traxxas forum, in the last week there has been no less then 4 people who all have broken there Revo 2.0s..

theres a slew of other new members posting issues as well, the whole forum is just filled with pissed off traxxas owners, one guys like something to the effect of this shits a money pit can someone help me from going broke lol

There stuff is toy grade imho and they recycle designs from 20 years ago with minor improvements if you can even call them improvements..

there cars are over priced by at least 100$ on every car, some even more like the xmaxx.. thats not worth 900 fiddlesticking dollars are you poopy me?

the UDR is another prime example.. Your paying for a name but not getting the quality that name may have ment In the past but no longer does.

There a mass producing china sourcing company whos greed and shortcuts are going to cost this whole industry as people get frustrated and broke and end up saying screw this hobby.. I was on that line my self till i gave it one more shot with arrma, boy am I glad I stuck it out,arrma saved my ass and my wallet. And there friggin way cheaper!

My 1/8 scale 4wd talion has already proven to be cheaper than my 1/10 2wd ruslter vxl after replacments and necessary upgrades. I def regret ever buying that and my stampede which I'm also def going to lose money on selling it, but keeping it is just going to cost more in the long run, and I know this.

I'm surprised the mods on the Trx forum havent deleted those threads yet, lol. They literally do that and consider it "brand bashing" even if it's a legitimate gripe...

Their technical support is just as bad. My stampede had issues with the tsm feature and serting endpoints. I called them to help with the radio menus and the guy fiddlesticked up my receiver signal so bad with his instructions (reversed throttle, steering, almost 0 dual rate, and wasn't resetting back to factory) he just gave up and told me i would have to remove the reciever and mail it in to them under warranty wirh almost a 3 week total turnaround.
I was able to fix it back to normal myself the next day using a 2 minute long video on youtube. The asshat kept giving me the instructions to reset a 4wd modwl which is a completely different set of steps in the menus...

Last edited:
Mind you the purpose of this thread isnt to mindlessly bash a rival compamy, but to give fair warning to anyone who might be considering buying the crap these guys sell. I was duped into them as they seemed popular and seemed quick and easy to get back into the hobby. Well, at least they taught me a ton about repair I guess.

I'm surprised the mods on the Trx forum haven't deleted those threads yet, lol. They literally do that and consider it "brand bashing" even if it's a legitimate gripe...

THEY DID THAT TO ME!!!!!!! I had a whole thread on my revo 2.0 reporting everything that broke on it 10 mins into my first 6s Run and they wiped the whole thread.. But left another guys up because I guess he wasn't bashing there poop like I was.. Fuggetaboutit.

Bummer @Sledgehog. Perfect time for upgrades now :)

Go read traxxas forum, in the last week there has been no less then 4 people who all have broken there Revo 2.0s

I'm not Traxxas fan myself and haven't been for a while (though I do enjoy my two Stampede's) but to be fair this forum is filled with people who broke their Arrma's as well. No manufacture is immune to parts failure.

I'm not Traxxas fan myself and haven't been for a while (though I do enjoy my two Stampede's) but to be fair this forum is filled with people who broke their Arrma's as well. No manufacture is immune to parts failure.

We just have to try harder :cool:

Sure every truck breaks, poop I broke my notorious this morning, But trx forum is FILLED to the BRIM with pissed off people.. Can't say the same about this forum :)

I honestly think traxxas and ecx's are comparable brands lol

ECX Trucks are kind of hard to break. Mostly because the plastics is about as stiff as wet noodle. I really think that is why my Torment breaks driveshafts - the rear arms just flex too far in a crash, the the u-joint binds and breaks. I think this because I have the same number of breaks on a 20t brushed motor as I did on a 3300kv brushless motor. IMHO, the driveshafts are fine, the arms just flex too much.

The only part of my Torment that I feel was a 'problem' was the front axle carrier - the soft plastic strips easy, so you lose a kingpin / shoulder screw. ECX has an aluminum part that fixes that issue, though. Axle carrier and C-hub are the only upgrades to my Torment. Maybe someday, I will swap in some HR driveshafts, but they don't break that often, so...

Back