Talk some damn Baja-ha sense to me

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thvts_Nvte

RCTalk Basher
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have now failed 3 ebay auctions for a genuine 5B. I can squeeze a 5b SBK right now if I wanted - but then I'd be stuck with a roller, one of which that by the way won't have a purple chassis (it is my favorite color after all) and I can't quite justify spending a grand on these shotty 5B's I keep seeing online for sale. Even locally my search has been less than stellar.

Now. I've always wanted a 5b, since I was a kid I thought they where the coolest thing since sliced bread. I have found one for sale that I want to pull the trigger on on offerup, according to offerup they pay for shipping so that's cool. And if the seller doesn't get it shipped within 2 days then I get refunded my money. Should I just try it?

For the same cost I admittedly cooooould just get a Rovan. And like, it's essentially the same thing I know. And it would be brand new, but then like...it just wouldn't be an HPI and I feel like I'm being a weirdo about it. I also went to a knew hobby shop today and they had a brand new old school packaging for the 5b. It's like teasing me every step of the way these past few months.

HAYLP. WHAT DO I DO.

It doesn't matter what you get. As soon as you buy it, the one you should have bought will show up for sale a few days later. Best advice - buy the cheapest one you can get so the one you want gets listed and you still have money to buy it. Then at least you have some spare parts. Sometimes you gotta fool the powers that be 😉

It doesn't matter what you get. As soon as you buy it, the one you should have bought will show up for sale a few days later. Best advice - buy the cheapest one you can get so the one you want gets listed and you still have money to buy it. Then at least you have some spare parts. Sometimes you gotta fool the powers that be 😉
That’s what I been doing wrong??? Damn it

In all honesty, don't under estimate the Rovan 5b, I have two of them.
My first one I bought RTR but did a few mods. Awesome rig, I love it.
The second one I built part by part and took me a couple years because of other projects.
I've installed the shorty kit in both of them.
I haven't taken her out yet.
I can see getting a HPI because hey it's a HPI. I'm perfectly happy with my Rovans.
The amount of parts available is amazing.
I don't know if I could talk some sense into you but the Rovan is a decent rig.

baha.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

Last edited:
You win Ebay auction with a snipe tool. you pick a last-second bid amount enter it in the snipe tool and let it do the work. your computer must be on and connected to the internet..I found 3 seconds was the magic number to win what I was after as long as my final bid was High enough..

This is honestly the wisdom I needed 😅

I have now failed 3 ebay auctions for a genuine 5B. I can squeeze a 5b SBK right now if I wanted - but then I'd be stuck with a roller, one of which that by the way won't have a purple chassis (it is my favorite color after all) and I can't quite justify spending a grand on these shotty 5B's I keep seeing online for sale. Even locally my search has been less than stellar.

Now. I've always wanted a 5b, since I was a kid I thought they where the coolest thing since sliced bread. I have found one for sale that I want to pull the trigger on on offerup, according to offerup they pay for shipping so that's cool. And if the seller doesn't get it shipped within 2 days then I get refunded my money. Should I just try it?

For the same cost I admittedly cooooould just get a Rovan. And like, it's essentially the same thing I know. And it would be brand new, but then like...it just wouldn't be an HPI and I feel like I'm being a weirdo about it. I also went to a knew hobby shop today and they had a brand new old school packaging for the 5b. It's like teasing me every step of the way these past few months.

HAYLP. WHAT DO I DO.
I feel your pain. I too want the og purple baja. I woke up depressed yesterday because my hpi savage xl has bent purple parts and the only replacements are orange.

I agree with the amphibious one. Buy a cheaper rovan, set some cash aside and wait. You have your replaceable rovan to beat on and an og baja for the shelf or a fun drive every now and then when it comes along. 🙂

I feel your pain. I too want the og purple baja. I woke up depressed yesterday because my hpi savage xl has bent purple parts and the only replacements are orange.

I agree with the amphibious one. Buy a cheaper rovan, set some cash aside and wait. You have your replaceable rovan to beat on and an og baja for the shelf or a fun drive every now and then when it comes along. 🙂
I think it's probably the most reasonable way to go if we're all being honest here.

On the anodizing front, I've been considering trying to anodize a few random and cheap aluminum parts from eBay myself. It's something you can do in your garage - it won't be as consistent of a color as some of the off the shelf stuff you used to get. And it's definitely not as consistent as powdercoating but I'm debating picking up some tubs and aluminum wiring and a DC regulator and trying it out myself for my Revo.

I think it's probably the most reasonable way to go if we're all being honest here.

On the anodizing front, I've been considering trying to anodize a few random and cheap aluminum parts from eBay myself. It's something you can do in your garage - it won't be as consistent of a color as some of the off the shelf stuff you used to get. And it's definitely not as consistent as powdercoating but I'm debating picking up some tubs and aluminum wiring and a DC regulator and trying it out myself for my Revo.
Well aware on home anodizing. My problem is I have a savage and 3 rs4 3s. My ocd is anal in it has to be the same shade. 🤣

The way I read was with a car battery charger.

They do have official purple hpi baja parts on the bay. Some are crazy price others are averaged.

That would be cool to see. I have black oxided parts before, but never tried anodize.

Back