Riaario On road car.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to build any speed run car. But I think if I did I'd use a Limitless. I just think the Rlaarlo would be a really cool on road basher.
From the reviews, this thing would have to be run on the smoothest of pavement, since it has so little ground clearance.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to build any speed run car. But I think if I did I'd use a Limitless. I just think the Rlaarlo would be a really cool on road basher.
For just a little bit more I think a Kyosho Fazer would work better for an on-road basher. The Rlaarlo has a flat low chassis that will get knocked around over pebbles and twigs.

For just a little bit more I think a Kyosho Fazer would work better for an on-road basher. The Rlaarlo has a flat low chassis that will get knocked around over pebbles and twigs.
That's why we are now supposed to rent an industrial leaf blower, a garden sprayer, and clean our parking lots before spraying them down with grape soda before we go bashing 🤣

We'll have to figure out a way to keep the ant invasion at bay. Still working on a prototype system to handle that 😉

I looked into one last year but was drawn away at first due to shipping and parts supply issues that Rlaarlo was having at the time. But by September of last year i finally bought the AK-917 the Carbon Fiber blue and orange roller version from Amazon after they became available on Amazon. I put a Horizon Hobby\Onyx 70A\4,000kv brushless combo that we had lying around from one of my dad's forgotten projects and it's a quick little car on 2s lipo. Here some pics of mine,
20240415_123127.jpg

20240415_123318.jpg

Initially i broke a front steering knuckle but they had aluminum ones available from the same seller where i bought the car from and some 10x15x4 bearings since the shielding of one of them popped off but i had them in 2 - 3 days time and repaired her as soon as i got the parts. Long story short i love this car\platform i named mine Miku after Hatsune Miku from Vocaloid have yet to run her on 3s since her current esc can handle up to 3s but imagine she'd be a little rocket. But advised their aren't many parts for these on Amazon from the Amoril US store on Amazon but Rlaarlo's main site has everything you could ever need but be warned it ships from China so you might have to deal with import duties and stuff like that. An easier route i would recommend if you don't want to worry about parts support or durability of these cars is to get a Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 BL-2s or VXL and buy a 200mm body for it and it would be a great intro to on road.

I looked into one last year but was drawn away at first due to shipping and parts supply issues that Rlaarlo was having at the time. But by September of last year i finally bought the AK-917 the Carbon Fiber blue and orange roller version from Amazon after they became available on Amazon. I put a Horizon Hobby\Onyx 70A\4,000kv brushless combo that we had lying around from one of my dad's forgotten projects and it's a quick little car on 2s lipo. Here some pics of mine,
View attachment 189637
View attachment 189638
Initially i broke a front steering knuckle but they had aluminum ones available from the same seller where i bought the car from and some 10x15x4 bearings since the shielding of one of them popped off but i had them in 2 - 3 days time and repaired her as soon as i got the parts. Long story short i love this car\platform i named mine Miku after Hatsune Miku from Vocaloid have yet to run her on 3s since her current esc can handle up to 3s but imagine she'd be a little rocket. But advised their aren't many parts for these on Amazon from the Amoril US store on Amazon but Rlaarlo's main site has everything you could ever need but be warned it ships from China so you might have to deal with import duties and stuff like that. An easier route i would recommend if you don't want to worry about parts support or durability of these cars is to get a Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 BL-2s or VXL and buy a 200mm body for it and it would be a great intro to on road.
How much does the ride height affect it? Any issues that you've noticed?

How much does the ride height affect it? Any issues that you've noticed?
Not much issues with ride height where i run at my street. There are some patches of my road where it jumps up when it hits but i have to live it at the moment.

First, as pointed out by others, it's Rlaarlo, not Riaario. Second, yes, some of their offerings are available through Amazon, primarily thunder their old 'Amoril' name. Third, although most of their original offerings were "rebranded" (and, yes, most likely WLToys), they typically came with better electronics...however, ever since the release of the AK-917, this vehicle, as well as everything released since, has been designed in-house. Fourth, to the Ops original question, these are not "race" cars (although some people have tried using them in on-road racing, to varying results)...these were designed primarily for speedrunning (carbon fiber chassis) & bashing (aluminum chassis). Fifth, in regards to a comment left by Doom, saying they are "a bit on the fragile side", this couldn't be further from the truth (I suspect Doom has never owned the Ak-917, or anything Rlaarlo has released since then). The quality of Rlaarlo's parts is extremely good. Although there was some initial problems with the process they were using for hardening steel, they have since changed the process. As for the plastics, they are just as good as, if not better than, Traxxas, Arrma, and several others, as they are producing a carbon-infused plastic that has a high-enough amount of carbon to make it strong, but not-so-much as to make it brittle. Just because a company is a "Chinese company" does NOT mean it's a bad company, or that such a company produces low-quality products. I own a couple of Traxxas 4Tec 2.0s, as well as a couple Rlaarlo AK-917s (one of which will soon be converted to the AK-787 chassis for dual-motor)...and, being completely honest, if I were to buy another 1/10 on-road car for bashing/speedrunning, I would MUCH rather add another Rlaarlo AK-series over another 4Tec.

Now that I've extolled many of the 'good' points about Rlaarlo, and their vehicles, I'll add some of the 'bad'. While some of the parts are available through Amazon, most are not. This means you must (at least for now) order spare parts directly from Rlaarlo, many of which will need to be shipped from China. Over the past year, the company has been working hard to have parts warehoused in US locations, and the number of those US-located parts has gradually increased...but, for the parts coming from China, those you will have to patiently wait for. Some shipments will be fast (shipped via air), while others will be slow (literally, a "slow boat from China"). Additionally, their customer service has a long way to go before it's up to the 'standards' we are used to from much larger (US-based) companies, such as Traxxas, Horizon Hobby, Associated, Tekno, etc. Some people have complained about contacting customer service, and not receiving a replay for weeks...and, in rare cases, not receiving a reply at all. Thankfully, there are other (and faster) ways of reaching them (for example, via Facebook Messenger). The CEO has even made it easy to rfeach out directly to him...and, for anyone who's had problems getting replies from customer service, when he says he'll get the problem taken care of, 99.9% of the time, he does just that.

The point of my lengthy post is, no company is 'perfect'. Part of the "problem" with Rlaarlo is NOT Rlaarlo...it's that people purchasing from Rlaarlo are expecting the same level of service that they expect from the "big names". They either forget...or purposely ignore...the fact that Rlaarlo is still a fairly new company, and is a small company that's still "learning the ropes". When Traxxas, Tamiya, Tekno, Associated, or any other the other major RC companies, were just starting out, were they providing the level of customer service they currently provide? I'd be willing to bet that the answer is not only "no", but I'd also be willing to bet that their level of CS was not much different from the level of CS that Rlaarlo is currently providing. People have become so 'entitled', with their "I want it yesterday" thought process, that, if the level of service is anything less than "the best", they complain. Is Rlaarlo's customer service great? No...but, they ARE working at making it better. Do you have to wait longer for orders? Sometimes...but, with them getting more products warehoused in the US, those shipping times have greatly decreased compared to what they were a year ago. Are Rlaarlo products high-quality? Yes. One final (related) point - I am aware of some problems with their recently-released 1/7 crawler (which I do not own)...but, I suspect that, just as with the initial problems that affected the AK-917, I suspect they are working at correcting the crawler's problems.

Back