Emergency Fuel Tank Repair

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Tonight I was anxious to run my Savage but the fuel tank was cracked and I have no local hobby shop to go to and pick up a new one. Here's an emergency fix that is working so far.

1. Clean the tank inside and out so there is no fuel residue.
2. Find exact location of the cracks.
3. Using a hot soldering iron,carefully melt and push plastic from both sides of the crack to directly on the crack.
4. Then use the iron directly on top of the crack and smear the plastic around the area.
5. While to plastic is still warm,use a popsicle stick and carefully press it to compress the melted area together.
6. Cool and leak test.

The fuel tank is thin so extreme caution must be used. If done right,this will weld the plastic and seal the crack. At least it works for me! :)

tank-repair.jpg

nice, never could get mine to seal right, but i have an extra cracked one that I'm gonna your method

I busted the tank on one of my tmaxx's back years ago and use one of the plastic welders and i think i still have the tank somewhere....it never leaked again i ran it until i converted the maxx to a shelf queen.

Back